Monday, February 18, 2013

A Real Champion Rebelle Goes To Bat About The Rebelle Line.



I felt, this subject of Nerf blasters for girls needed an honest point of view of the subject, too many articles by men, no good ones I have seen from women.  So who did I seek for a opinion on the Nerf Rebelle line, 2 time, back to back, Southern California Humans Vs. Zombies MVP, Ferris Mcintyre.  Me and such friends as Basic Nerf and the Norwalk Regional Nerf Leauge encourage her to keep playing Nerf,  kicking ass, kill zombie heads, and just all out demolish her opponents with a Nerf Rayven.  So without further adue...   

A Rebelle's Point Of View, By Ferris Mcintyre.   

Many toy brands focus on either a boy or girl audience, making specific toys for specific genders. All of the time growing up, I would hear remarks about my love of playing with a "boy's toy." I never understood that these were separate, and I still don't. Today I play with Nerf blasters as often as I can and love it. I do admit that in someways having a line of blasters aimed at girls would be nice, but at the same time is it really necessary? If the guns were designed for girls some of the problems that I am experiencing could be solved, but others could also arise. I hope Nerf has some new ideas about the style of guns needed for the line, more than just paint. Although girls can and have played with the previously existing blasters, the new line could potentially help get more girls interested in Nerf despite the controversy it may provoke. 

                As the girls became older, they stop playing with “a boy’s toy,” to move onto what toys were available to girls, toys deigned for indoor play with long periods spent sitting down. The designers at Nerf have realized this and have decided to make a blaster line specifically for girls, but will it help them become equal on the playing field as they predicted? Some say that making the toys separate demotes the girl players, while others say it will encourage them. Whichever the case, I hope more players come forward and all are able to have a great playing experience. 

                Despite this forward movement for the girl blaster-loving community, there are several problems faced with the transition from boy to girl blaster models. The first one being size and shape of the gun, another being the types of guns available and the last being the accessories needed for the new girl blasters.

                Some of the blasters already in circulation have thicker, heavier handles than are wanted in a blaster specifically for girls. In the Rebelle blasters I have seen online, this has already been changed to improve the handling and use of the guns. The second change for the Reblle blasters would be to move the release button for clips closer to the clips themselves. As they are in the N-Strike, I either find it hard to reload without using both hands because they are too far apart or are too hard to release while pulling the clip out. Nerf should not be afraid to make Rebelle blasters with a clip system in it, as long as they consider the target audience’s attributes.

                The simplest way for Nerf to create a new line of girl blasters would be to not create them at all. If they just used the same models in different colors that would be enough right? Wrong. If the Rebelle line had the exact same blasters, even with the helpful modifications, it would not be enough to motivate little girls to buy them. Many of the girls who would be interested in the line most likely already have a Nerf blaster or two. What girls really want (especially me) would be a line that is created for them, with separate blasters in all different styles and options, without giving up any of the power the N-Strike blasters have.  

                 Lastly, if you are a serious Nerf player, and a girl, you have come to realize that there are some complications when playing. One of which, is finding a place to hold your primary and secondary gun. Normally I find players have a type of vest to hold everything. I am not a very big girl, reaching only 5'1 on my best days and no more than 105 pounds, so carrying a heavy vest with a million clips, a secondary gun and everything else needed for a good Nerf game on my shoulders would not be very productive. Also considering the older group of girls who may be playing, this is not possible due to their body shape. What I suggest instead is a new style of vest for the older girls. However, this is just not likely to take off because of the odd style and awkward feeling it would give, so a belt holster or a leg holster would work much better. Think of how amazing a police style belt for the secondary gun would be. The leg holster I have already seen on a girl who made it out of tape and cardboard. It survived the whole game that way and got her out of a few situations. I myself would love to see these take off with girls and guys who need more room for gear. 

                I hope that as a serious Nerf player the people at Hasbro will consider the thoughts of both young and older girls when creating the new line. The changes in these blasters have been long awaited and will be appreciated among the true players of the game. I can now pass down all of my Nerf guns to my young girl family members and know they will be loved. So many young girls would be happy to see this take off, almost as happy as all of the older girls who have waited for it all this time, will be. 

--Ferris

No comments:

Post a Comment